Skip to main content

Handling Criticism

Hello there!

Today I would be sharing on something quite sensitive to a number of us - criticism and ways to handle it better. I personally don't like to be criticised (i don't know about you) but I'm sure I am not the only one that feels this way. This is something the Holy Spirit (HS) is helping me with at the moment and I trust that it will bless you.
I consider criticism as disapproval of how something is done.
Whenever someone criticises me, I get super defensive and in the bid to defend myself I get annoyed....then I miss out on what I could I've learnt to get better. One person i often receive criticism from asides my superiors at work is my husband. He feels I can handle things better. And girl! it has never gone down well with me until recently when I had prepared my defense and the HS began to make me do a heart check.
Its almost the end of the year and we would be receiving criticisms or even feedbacks from superiors at work, friends, colleagues, and/or spouses. It is important that we do not miss out on the thing that really matters -getting better and wiser.
"Listen to advice and accept correction, and in the end you will be wise. " Proverbs 19:20(NCV)
While I was doing my heart check, the story of Moses and his father-in-law, Jethro came to mind. In Exodus 18, Jethro visited Moses at the wilderness and made some observations about his administration processes. Jethro discussed ways he believed Moses could do things better and more efficiently. Moses could have ignored Jethro's suggestions after all, he speaks to God one on one, Jethro doesn't. He leads a congregation of thousands, Jethro doesn't. Moses took on the suggestions and he became more productive.
In handling criticisms:
1. Be open minded: More often, criticisms are given so you can be better. Often times, those giving the criticisms do so because they want your progress. It means they see potentials in you that you can be better. Believe that the person criticizing you have good intentions, hear them out.
2. Hearing isnt enough, you must listen: Until we listen to criticism we would never make the most of it. Let it sink in, that way you are able to internalize the issues raised.
3. Evaluate yourself vis-a-vis the criticism: Nothing beats sincerity when it comes to self assessment. In as much as criticism is someone elses opinion, they are for you to use to evaluate your ways and do better.
4.Identify and implement practicable corrective measures: When a criticism is not going down well with me, I end the conversation with 'okay'. What it means is, i am not willingly to do anything about it (at least not yet..lol). It shouldn't be.
If you are criticised about spelling error, a corrective measure could be to proof read your work at least twice before submission. Another measure could be having a dictionary around you whether in hard or soft copy. Aim to seek practicable ways for improvement.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit for Help: He is able to teach us all things!

I would like to hear from you, share how you handle criticism in the comments section.

Loads of love

Your Sis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Creative Power

 Dearly Beloved, Happy New Year! I pray that 2023 will be exciting and fulfilling for you; may your expectations not be cut short in Jesus Name, Amen. A few days ago, I came across on my Instagram page a snippet of some of the things I said in 2019. In this video, I was talking about my personalised confessions after a vision boarding session. So I said things like, “I am transforming Africa”, “I enjoy healthy relationships”, and I went on and on.  Sisters, I was so moved by how everything I spoke in that video has become a reality today. There is so much power in our words; honestly, we can’t really understand how powerful it is on this side of the earth.  Can we do something? Do a video saying where you see yourself (in alignment with the Word of God) by December 31, 2023 and save it. Say things like, I have become a global brand because Nations and kings are coming to the knowledge of my rising. I see myself setting a new pace with groundbreaking ideas in my industry because I am th

DEALING WITH NEGATIVE THOUGHTS

Dear Sisters, I trust God that you and yours are doing well.  Before now, I would b ea t myself up each time a negative thought crosses my mind. This led me to do a lot of meditation on the power of thoughts and how to take charge of them. Of the many things I have now come to understand is that: negative thoughts in themselves are not bad. I know that sounds weird but stay with me, let me explain myself. Allowing these thoughts to remain and control us is where the issue lies.  It reminds me of the analogy of temptation versus sin. It is okay to be tempted, but it is not okay to sin.  When I was meditating on this, I read a devotional that week that reiterated that dwelling on bad thoughts is what causes  believers to fall. For the purpose of context, not all negative thoughts are 'fornication' or 'adultery' related; sometimes, it is not doing the will of the Father. Peter is a good example here when he said Christ would not wash his feet (John 13:8) and when he reprim

You Are Being Built

  Hello Beautiful, I hope you know how much God loves and is mind-full of you. I have wanted to write to you for so long now, but I kept telling myself, “i will get to it”, and alas, we are now in April. Can you believe we are in April already?! I trust God that this write up meets you in good spirits. God is so merciful. Earlier in the year, January to be precise, the Holy Spirit instructed me to reread the story of Joseph and this time, I had the nudge to list point by point the career lessons from him. The way I was inspired to pen these lessons was as though I was preparing to use them for a speaking engagement. I stalled a little because the story is one I have read severally and wondered why writing it in the way I had been inspired to matter, especially as it is one of the major cruces of my book - The Millennial Employee. Eventually, I obeyed and studied the story as I was inspired. January and February passed. I had no reference to it and even forgot I did the exercise.  Fast